mind your business: 10 Team Building Tips
Emotional support is a crucial part of a motivated and focused team. It comes in a variety of shapes and sizes, but having the desire and ability to be supportive of your team members is far more important than doing it exactly right.
Here are 10 ways to emotionally support your team:
1. Offer a handshake. A handshake is worth a thousand words and congratulating a team member on a job well done is the most inexpensive and motivational tool you can use.
2. Be respectful of a team member's feelings. Letting your team members know you are open to discussion, while letting them have the space they need to process feelings and issues on their own is a way of showing that you care.
3. Give small gifts. A company t-shirt, coffee mug, or pen lets team members know they are wanted and valued.
4. Compliment your team member in front of others. It is one of the most supportive things you can do.
5. Disagree in a kind and respectful way. Never judge or reject ideas without first considering them. If you have a difference of opinion, that's fine, as long as you express it with respect.
6. Verbalize your approval. Actually hearing it is important to many people. Sure, there are many ways you show your approval, but actually saying "good job" or "well done" will reassure your team member.
7. Never ignore a team member. There is nothing more hurtful than being treated like you don't exist. Even if you're angry at the moment, it's no reason to be rude.
8. Listen deeply and focus on what your team member is saying. Knowing that you are being heard is validating and prevents misunderstandings. Paraphrasing what your team member has said is a great way to let him or her know you understand.