What’s the Deal with Digital?
Doehler reported approximately 25 percent of the company’s digital order volume is generated by sophisticated PURL and Web-to-print programs, while the remaining 75 percent is good old-fashioned static, short-run, quick-turn color work produced on the company’s Kodak NexPress.
“The higher unit price connected to digital output is being absorbed by the fact that customers are typically mailing smaller quantities, trying to be more targeted, trying to improve response rates and trying to be greener,” he observed. “All of these factors contribute to run lengths coming down, and as they come down, the higher unit costs connected to digital becomes less of a hurdle.”
Doehler noted the company is seeing demand for quick turns on 250-piece orders of 12-page, self cover, saddle-stitch books, and more postcard applications in which the company is actually mapping the outgoing name and address, as well as doing the full-color printing. In terms of digital print order volume, business cards dominate at Prodigital Printing. “There used to be more call for spot color and companies very specific about a PMS color,” shared Doehler. “Even the biggest, most brand-sensitive companies have come to understand it’s economically imperative for them to accept the CMYK version of their PMS color—it is cost prohibitive to always be running that fifth color just to hit a particular blue.”
Liven Up Label Sales
If digital is a boon for business cards, it’s incredibly lucrative for label sales. John Shanley, president of Labels West, Woodinville, Wash., explained this is a perfect time to educate those customers using labels printed by traditional methods, like flexography, about digital’s pricing, quality and speed advantages. For instance, digitally printed labels help brand managers fine-tune marketing campaigns through ordering smaller quantities for test marketing, regional and seasonal marketing and event marketing, such as custom-printed water bottles for a golf outing.
Related story: Digital Labels are the Answer