Tamper-Resistant Prescription Pad Law Effective October 1
Wilmer, Dayton, Ohio, is reminding distributors that a new federal law starting on Oct. 1 mandates all written, non-electronic prescriptions for Medicaid recipients be written on tamper-resistant pads in order to qualify for reimbursement by the federal government.
Characteristics of compliant prescription pads include:
• The prevention of unauthorized copying of a completed or blank prescription form
• The prevention of erasure or modification of information written on the prescription by the prescriber
• The prevention of use of counterfeit prescription forms
Wilmer offers tamper-resistant prescription pads which meet Medicaid requirements through the following eight security features:
• Void pantograph
• Chemical protection paper
• Watermark back
• Micro print
• Blue or green background
• Heat sensitive Rx thermochromic ink
• Reverse Rx
• Pre-printed prescriber information
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) is requiring that only one of the three characteristics for tamper-resistant prescription pads be met by October 1, 2007, with all three characteristics met by October 1, 2008.
For more information, contact the Wilmer Prescription Pad team at (800) 494-5637, ext 5 or visit www.4wilmer.com.