Women in Print and Promo: These Women Mean Business
Women have undoubtedly made progress in American society, but it is not nearly enough. According to the International Labour Organization, 43 percent of all managers in the U.S. are women. An encouraging number, yes—though it’s less than half of the total, suggesting that there is significant room for growth. What’s more sobering are recent statistics from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Did you know that 59.9 percent of women aged 15-16 and older were in the labor force in 2000? Unfortunately, that figure dropped to 56.7 percent by the end of 2015. And let’s not forget that women today are paid 83 cents for every dollar a man earns, as reported in Gallup.
While the print and promotional industry isn’t the only one to let the rules of a “good ol’ boys club” creep into workplace culture, it has, over the years, earned a reputation of “suits and ties need only apply.” The good news is that in spite of BLS’ findings above, there are more women than ever before walking the trade show floor—and they’re no longer relegated to assistant roles. Instead, they’re creating dynamic marketing campaigns, generating sales dollars, running machinery and leading multimillion-dollar companies. Most importantly, they’re guiding the new generation of women who may tackle gender inequalities as they enter the workforce.
Print+Promo is featuring just some of these women—all of whom come from varying professional backgrounds. Click on a name below for a detailed profile on one of these female executives:
- Lisa Stang, Vice President of Sales, I.D. Images LLC
- Angela T. Miller, Business Development/Solutions Provider, Proforma 3rd Degree Marketing
- Amy Tiller, President, Inspired Results Inc.
- Jill Adams, Founder and Owner, The Creative J – A Geiger Affiliate
- Beth Marston, Director, Sales, Navitor
- Marilyn Malstrom, Franchise Owner, Welcomemat Austin
- Keri Soukup, Senior Account Specialist, O'Brien Corporation
- Ali (Peters) Tlaxcala, Creative Director, Accuwrite Print + Promo
- Jeanene Edwards, Vice President of Marketing/Merchandising, Fruit of the Loom and JERZEES Activewear
- Karen Tazioli, Senior Account Manager and Print Champion, Complete Print Shop
- Lindsey Oswald, Manager of Strategic Accounts, Meridian
- Andrea Pesci-Jones, President, Stylerite Label Corporation
- Renee M. Berger, Marketing Manager, Western States Envelope & Label
- Linda Martinelli, President, Proforma Graphic Printsource
Elise Hacking Carr is editor-in-chief/content director for Print+Promo magazine.